Saturday, December 22, 2007

Moving on across the pond

Well, it seems that our paperwork has made it to Ethiopia. Our social worker told us that Kefelen's case should have a court date in 4-8 weeks and then we should be able to travel some weeks after that (keeping fingers crossed). By the way, can I just vent for a moment about the government and it's penchant for red tape? Good lord, I was on the immigration phone line for a good 20 minutes and finally reached a message that said "if you would like to speak to a customer service rep, please call back." I called back and there was no option for speaking to a rep...and I even speak English. I can't imagine being an immigrant with English as a second or third language trying to navigate the system of the good ol U S of A. I'd turn right around and flee back to my country of origin. Also, the immigration voice guy kept asking me for a receipt number in order to access any automated info. We'll, it's been 5 weeks and they haven't sent a receipt. A woman at our agency said sometimes you get the finalization before you get the receipt. Now I enjoy organization, but I am in no way type A. If I were, I think I'd be seething. Right now I'm just simmering. Wish us luck. Jennifer

No comments: