One year ago this week Mitch and I were looking at each other, and our new son, with utter confusion and wonder. "Can you believe they gave us a kid? Now what? Can we do this?" Of course we could, and we did, and Kefelen has given us more joy than we could have believed. Every day I can look into his smiling eyes and feel alright with the world. Every morning when he wakes and climbs into our bed I get the warmest snuggles and the oddest stories. Watching him grow and learn and develop is fascinating.
Kefelen has experienced many new things in his first year with us: airplane rides, carseats, own bed, dog and cats as pets, hot dogs, ice cream, swimming, boating, floating, hockey, skiing, movies, english, fireworks, camping, corn on the cob, indoor stores, money, snow, easter eggs, swimming pools, swings, waterslides, hotels, electronic toys, bicycles, school, halloween, thanksgiving, christmas, santa and his "goats", root beer, walking the dog, roller coasters, bumper cars, merry-go-rounds, the zoo, the coffee shop, winter coats, hats, gloves, boots, light-up shoes, restaurants, sandboxes, cameras, video, computers, stereos, ipods, candles, window blinds, outlets, running water and many more things I can't remember right now.
This kid came to another continent with two complete strangers and has adapted unbelievably well. We have become a family. I thought we would see more difficulty, but it's been incredibly easy. He is the love of our lives. He is our little nugget, our big boy. And we are so thankful for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment