Monday, March 23, 2009

Growing


Over the past few weeks Mitch and I have realized one thing that should have been obvious, Kefelen is a little man.  Daily I go to help him with something and receive the 1980's Ricki Lake talk to the hand gesture couple with, "Mom, I'm fine, I'm a big boy, I can do it myself." And even though it saddens me a bit, and even though more peanut butter ends up on the counter than on the sandwich, I am happy to see him evolve.  

Kefelen has made it his goal to be the big boy and offer help with household chores.  He takes it upon himself to turn the freezer and fridge thermostat all the way up or all the way down depending on his mood and how cold or warm he feels the food is.  He shoves all dirty clothes and toys into one drawer to clean his room.  He tells me that "no, the dog can't go outside, it's raining and he is sad" when I attempt to let the pooch out to pee.  He also tells Mitch and I that we need to take a time out if we raise our voices or say the dreaded "shut up" even in jest.  

He is learning to assert himself and set boundaries.  He is developing a strong sense of confidence and compassion for others.  I'm glad to see that even though we've fumbled through the past year we may have done a few things right.

  

No comments: